Thursday, January 17, 2013

I wanna play Capoeira!!!



Martial arts, dance, acrobatics, rituals, fighting --- depending in who you ask, Capoeira will be described in different ways because it depends on your personality and how you perceive it.

"Its subtle blending of gymnastics and dance moves make the capoeira game unique in the world of martial arts. The challenge for the player is to harmoniously meld together in a powerful flow the balance and flexibility of acrobatics , the grace and strength of dance, the speed and the cunning of the fight, and the rhythms of the music. If these components are isolated, the essence of capoeira is lost." McGuire - East/west Journal

This is my favorite definition. I love the music, dance-fight aspect of it. For years I've wanted to start doing Capoeira but schedules never quite fit back in Manila, then it just wasn't possible in Vietnam. Last week I was looking for activities to do in Dar and there it was. Unfortunately, I work till 8 Mondays Thursdays when they have beginner classes so I asked the instructor if I could still come on their regular practice which was last night. I'm so glad I came. One guy worked with me and another beginner while the rest worked on more advanced moves. I really need to work on arm strength and endurance. Bothersome asthma. Warm up just about killed me. I'm not discouraged though, with time and practice, I'll get a little better.